Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:36:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gui editors - mostly just griping (you've been warned) I gotta vent somewhere.

Try Nedit from the ports collection.  It's the best GUI editor I've
ever used, for programming anyways.  It's not a WYSIWIG HTML editor/word
processor, nor is it an IDE, but it is a really good programmer's editor.
Fast and lots of features.  It has syntax highlighting also, and there
are some other contributed syntax highlighting patterns at www.nedit.org
(it comes with a bunch by default, including SGM HTML).  I've converted
everybody at work to using Nedit.

Nedit version 5.3 was just released, but I haven't updated the port
yet.  There's not much functional difference between 5.2.1 and 5.3
anyways, though.

--
Dan Eischen

On Mon, 10  2002 chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:

> I have spent a large part of my day trying various gui editors, trying to
> find one that will actually work the way
> it should. I have been using gnotepad+, but it crashes too much, so I
> changed to bluefish, but it also is quite
> unstable. Today I installed glimmer, cooledit, peacock and screem. All from
> the ports. All I really want is an
> editor that will copy/paste/undo/redo, search/replace, syntax highlight for
> html/php, keep the prefences from
> one session to the next, I don't need wizards and icons and other wizbang
> things, just a stable app that I can
> leave running all day if necessary, come back to it and it will still be
> running waiting patiently for me to do
> some more editing. If I remember correctly, kwrite, or kadvanced editor,
> was pretty good, but since it can only
> be installed as part of kde, not seperately at all, I don't have it. (I
> tried to install KDE 2 and KDE3 both from the
> ports but they both failed, oh well, I don't care for it anyway).

[ Snip ]