Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:03:52 -0500
From:      "Thimble Smith" <tim@mysql.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Siew Sim <siewsim@prismedia.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please help - thread-safe mysql client link problem

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 03:25:35PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Siew Sim wrote:
>>     I'm using FreeBSD 3.2, and mysql 3.22.30.  I'm trying to build a
>> thread-safe mysql client with pthread.
>
>Use the port.

The port doesn't have an option for building a thread-safe client,
either (unless it's hidden somewhere that I didn't see it).

Siew Sim, those error messages usually happen when something was
compiled with -lc_r instead of with -pthread.  MySQL's configure
script detects -lc_r and it won't use -pthread by default, so I
am guessing that's where your problem is.

Until that is fixed in MySQL, add this option when you configure:

    --with-mysqld-ldflags=-pthread --with-client-ldflags=-pthread

    $ gmake -k clean; rm config.cache
    $ configure --options
    $ gmake

Let me know if that doesn't solve the problem.

Tim