Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 2009 23:36:34 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portmaster with package support ready for beta testing

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>I take a quick look at the code and I have one question. Can you explain
>way --no-deps and --force are used for pkg_add?

I can only venture an explanation. Once you have computed a good order
for upgrading via packages, you cannot accept that pkg_add ruins your
computation by doing things on its own. In principle you have a
global view of the problem, which is better than the local view embedded
in each package. Hence forcing pkg_add is the only sane way.

--

Michel TALON