Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:12:39 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not gzip iso images?

At 11:09 PM 3/15/00 +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>That's true.  Most of the files in the ISO images are already
>compressed, so trying to gzip it saves only a few percent.
>
>Also take into account that many people are downloading and
>recoding the images on Windows boxes, which don't have gzip
>by default.

And then they can xfer it over to their FBSD system, etc..

>Jordan kindly provides MD5 checksums of the ISO images, which
>are much more reliable than gzip's checksums.

Shows how infrequently I look where the ISO's are.

>That would just make things more complicated, and there's no
>reason for that.  That's what the "reget" command is good for
>-- no reason to start over at all.

Agreed.  Breaking them apart would be a hassle.

Frankly I just tossed out a few things for cannon fodder.  Those familiar
with the CDs should know they won't compress much and should choose an
alternative to DL'ing the ISO.  FTP install or subscription.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve