Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 14:52:13 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Subject:   Re: Port for the Orion Server (J2EE Application Server)

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 12:23:45PM -0400, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
> The bottom line is that Java != C/C++ and the rules that apply to
> C/C++ do not carry over when it comes to binary vs. source.

Although my heart on this matter is on the side of compiling the source,
I can see that there is probably an important difference between Java
and C/C++ programs: Java programs are (supposed to be) platform-independent,
so you don't generally have to provide FreeBSD-specific patches to make
them work. I think that was the main reason for the creation of the
ports system and it doesn't seem to hold in this case.

-past