Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:12:04 +0100
From:      Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@gerpa.ru>
Cc:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMWare for FreeBSD?

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 02:57:01AM +0300, Artem Koutchine wrote:
> Hm... Interesting, how much work has to be done
> and if it is possible at all to load linux kernel or at least
> emulate its works in FreeBSD?

What has to be done is taking the code of the kernel modules vmnet and
vmmon and port those to KLD's. Then we can find out what code is in the
vmware program that isn't emulated properly.

I think/hope the vmware program works through system calls/IOCTL's in
the vmmon and vmnet modules for all its devices, so that reduces all to
porting the modules.

But... given the dirty stuff in there (direct VM hacking if I understand
correctly) and the nice way of coding stuff very unportable, it might
not be trivial.
And at the moment I don't have the time and facilities to look into
Linux so deep, since I'm divinding my time and stuff over my own place
and my girlfriends.
As soon as I convinced her that having a machine room in her house isn't
too bad, I might try to pick it up again :-)

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...