Date:      13 Sep 1999 10:44:28 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to prevent motd including os info

"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> writes:
> > No. The scrollback may be too short (especially after an fsck of a
> > large filesystem after a crash), and it may even be empty (if you put
> > something like VESA_132x60 in allscreens_flags in rc.conf)
> We can tune the size of the scroll back buffer can't we?

Yes, but we don't want to increase the default size too much.

>                                                           And fsck output
> even after a crash is usually not that long, if it gets long it usually
> has more problems than fsck -p can deal with and stops any way.

You've obviously never fsck'ed a largish soft-updated filesystem after
a power outage.

> Why does switching display mode screw up the scroll back buffer?  That
> sounds broken to me.

Because you have to resize the scrollback to accomodate the new line
width. You're welcome to fix it. I've tried, and decided that it was
far from a SMOP and that it would have to wait until I have more than
a few hours' continuous free time.

> > Doesn't ntpdate log what it does with syslog?
> If you give it the -s option, yes it will syslog it.  But doing that
> to everything in /etc/rc* seems like a pain in the *ss...

Lazy people never achieve much.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no