Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 21:35:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE seems to be broken since todays's  cvsupdate

Hello out there.

I did this morning AND in the later evening (last at 1800 CEST) a cvsupdate
and did a make world, mergemaster and a new kernel like yesterday morning.

After rebooting our SMP and UP servers the whole system remained into
a unusuable state:

network performance drops below a painful number, ping to other FreeBSD machines
shows a lot of losses. ssh was not able - every ssh connect got a timeout.
NIS/YP seems to be slow, also httpd and SAMBA: inaccessible!

I saw in the last cvsupdate logs that many things in kernel and ypserver
has been changed. After switching from SMP to UP on all machines the situation
remained critical. Then I decided to change back via date tag in cvsupdatefile
to 2002.08.06.19.00.00 and recompiled only the kernels - switched back to SMP
enable on our SMP machines - and, voila, all things run well as expected.

It seems to me that there is some 'buggy code' in the newest sources, but
I do not know what. I also read in the mailing list that the next cvsupdates
should be delayed for a week due to bad code?

I offer no dmesg output or something else due to the fact STABLE seems to be in
an instable 'mood' these days. If it is of interest, I will offer you our kernel configs
and dmesg outputs.

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)