Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:57:03 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Promoting FreeBSD - the user's piece of the action.

> Bzzzzzt.... Sorry, but Uncle Sam won't buy that. 501(c)(3) status is only
> given to organizations that are charitable (as in giving EXCLUSIVELY to
> the needy) or education (as in quadrangles, ivy-covered halls, accreditation,
> currcicula, etc.). It could be a mutual benefit society, though --
> possibly 501(c)(4).
>
> --Brett

I beg to differ, Brett. The definition of 501c3 is very broad. Witness
the political hacks Gingrich did with 501c3. You can 'educate' people
about anything in almost any way. You can even make (limited) amounts of
money commercially from it, as long as the money -- except for salaries
and those needn't be tiny -- goes back into the educational purpose.
It's not just for schools. There are lots of other 'educational'
non-profits out there that are 501c3 for cats, birds, model railroaders,
why not Chuckie and his toy? [aside: as a Christian, I wish our daemon
didn't look so much like The demon. I relish the historical aspect of
Berkeley et al, but I wish we would go with 'The Power to Serve'.] I
suggest we ask perl.org, XFree86, etc. and see if they've done any
research. There was a really good book written by Nolo Bene Press up in
the bay area about Non Profits. After all, we're not running drugs here
and that's the only thing the Feds care about any more.

=--> Don