Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:22:25 +0200
From:      Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>
To:        Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
Cc:        BSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: apache jail

Am 25.08.2001 um 08:33:20 schrieb Bob Martin:

Hi,

> The solution that Andrew Matheson post works well if you really want to
> use a jail. There is a lot of initial work in creating jails, and jails
> use a lot of hard drive space.

furthermore there might be a huge overhead (cpu and memory) by running a
complete httpd environment for each vhost. Adding a vhost will certainly
be far more complicated.

> The easiest approach is to use good security.

that's what the whole approach is all about, right? :)
Imho the system is quite secure so I do
not expect great danger with the current situation, I just would like to
keep people where they belong. Keeping everybody but root out of the
system in general might increase the overall security a lot.

> There is an abundant
> amount of security documentation for apache and php on the net.

I had a closer look, bothered google for the subject but did not find a
solution. One of my bigger conderns is that apache/php allows scripts to
dig around in my system as any shell-usr might do as well. There is no
need (at least if you can offer the perl interpreter etc. anyways) so I
would appreciate it a lot if no php/perl/etc-Script could leave what
apache defines as document-root.
Many ftp-servers offer this feature (chroot after login) which makes
much sense in my opinion but if you can bypass this with php and friends
it makes far less sense.

> Spend some time making sure that the base system is secure.

Garfinkel etc. right :)

/ch

--
"Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly.
It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with."