Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 07:59:05 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        <nlysaght@one.net.au>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: APSFILTER AND PRINTING

----- Original Message -----
From: <nlysaght@one.net.au>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 4:02 AM
Subject: APSFILTER AND PRINTING

<major snippage>

> > I am a newbie, recently coming from OS/2,

Welcome!

> > Two days ago, after going to /usr/ports/print/apsfilter, I ran "make all
clean
> > install" (or the correct order you have it in), and my system was
"making" for
> > about 30 minutes. When I checked it, it seemed to be "looping", the same
> > commands came up.

Let's take this step-by-step.
cd /usr/ports/print/apsfilter
make distclean # this will make sure that the old build is cleaned and the
old distfile is removed
make # This should fetch, extract, configure, and build the port, make sure
it succeeds and does not die
       with a bunch of Error Code 1's
make install # This will install the port. After it is completely installed,
go
               look at /var/db/pkg/apsfilter-$version/+CONTENTS and find out
               where it installed everything, probably /usr/local/apsfilter
or /usr/local/share/apsfilter
                Verify the files are actually installed there, then
make distclean  # again

> > When I did the same thing tonight, connection was refused.

Probably the machine was not accepting connections due to load.

> I've now tried to "make deinstall", but it appears, it was never installed
> in the first place. Is there a possibility I have strewn data files and
> bits of programme around my HDD to the point where I will have to
> re-install the whole partition?

I doubt this is the case, the ports system is (usually) good about this.
Likely, it never installed a single file outside of
/usr/ports/print/apsfilter.