Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:12:34 -0500
From:      "Kevin McCormick" <kmccorm1@stevens-tech.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: I bought your system and am not so happy!

I must submit that I totally agree with Jim on this, context is a major
player in a positive adoption of a system.

I am definitely a FreeBSD and UNIX newbie, but I have done quite a large
amount of reading on UNIX prior to using FreeBSD.  Additionally, I feel that
I'm quite adept at using computers in general.

That being said, after installing FreeBSD, I still felt lost inside the
operating system.  Using sysinstall isn't *that* bad for the most part
(definitely not the most user-friendly either, though), but after logging
in, there I was at a shell prompt.  I knew that there was startx, man, and a
few other commands, but I was mostly lost.  Nothing was there in front of me
for me to try.  I read through the entire handbook (definitely by far the
most common response on these lists: "RTFHB"), which I might add is not a
light read, and is very long for a "handbook".  Therefore, I suggest that a
little bit of additional context doesn't detract from the openness and
freedom of the operating system.  I, like many people, don't have the
ability to print out the handbook, buy the handbook, or memorize the
handbook, along with a slew of commands and procedures.  I like to explore
for new things, but only when I'm looking to do something new.  For example,
if I'm looking for a way to set up a graphical login, I think I speak for
many user when I say that it seems unnecessary to read through 8 man pages
and two chapters in the handbook to set up a graphical login.  I'm not
saying that everything needs to be done for me, but a few reminders and
pointers would be nice while I'm actually on the PC (a la MOTD or something
like 'man nowthatyouveinstalledfreebsd').  After my installation was
complete it would have been very helpful if it said something like:

---SAMPLE---

Welcome to FreeBSD!

This is your new operating system, so welcome to UNIX, etc. etc.

- To learn how to set up your sound card now, type 'man pcm'
- To start XFree86, type 'startx'
- To re-run setup, type /stand/sysinstall
- To learn more about the FreeBSD ports collection, type 'man ports'
- To learn how to customize your system more type ....
- To set change how you log onto your computer, type 'man xdm' 'man getty'
etc...
- For more, type 'man nowthatyouveinstalledfreebsdwhattodonow'

---STOP SAMPLE---

More of these types of things really need to be added to help those who are
getting adjusted to the system.  If it's done right, it shouldn't bother the
die-hard users while making FreeBSD more accessible to those who are good at
using PC systems, but need to get adjusted.

And, lastly, someone needs to start working on a graphical ports collection
browser (I can't wait until I finish my CS classes so I can help!).  That
would be a very nice thing to show off to Windows users who brag about their
Windows Installer and "Add/Remove" garbage.

That's all for now,
Kevin McCormick
kmccorm1@stevens-tech.edu