Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:37:42 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: strange dump/restore behaviour

	To: current@freebsd.org
	Cc: mckusick@freebsd.org
	Subject: strange dump/restore behaviour
	From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
	Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:41:10 +0100

	This happened while copying data over to a new disk (mounted on /mnt
	and /mnt/usr; the original disk has only one partition).  The machine
	was in single-user mode, but / was mounted read-write due to restore's
	insistance on placing temporary files in /tmp (I found out later that
	it respects TMPDIR, though the man page doesn't mention it).

	root@dsa /mnt# dump -0Laf- / | restore -rf-
	  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Jan  9 16:11:42 2003
	  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
	  DUMP: Dumping snapshot of /dev/da0a (/) to standard output
	  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
	  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
	  DUMP: estimated 1838856 tape blocks.
	  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
	  DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
	warning: ./usr: File exists
	expected next file 4, got 3
	[...]

	I can imagine that the file that caused the warning message was one of
	restore's temporary files, but a) I've never seen this before, and b)
	isn't -L supposed to prevent just that?

	DES
	--
	Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org

Sorry for the slow response. I tend to get behind on my freebsd.org
email.

The warning comes about because you had already created /mnt/usr.
Since you were doing a full restore, you are getting a warning
that the usr directory already exists when restore tries to create
it. It complains again about finding an already existing inode (3
which was presumably the usr directory in the original dump).
Neither of these are problematic or affected your restore.

	Kirk McKusick