Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:50:21 GMT
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/99336: Unclear handbook wording

The following reply was made to PR docs/99336; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To: Merijn Verstraaten <merijn.verstraaten@xs4all.nl>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:41:16 +0300

 On 2006-06-23 00:16, Merijn Verstraaten <merijn.verstraaten@xs4all.nl> wrote:
 > Firewall chapter, IPFW configuration (26.6)
 >
 > "If you do not have IPFW compiled into your kernel you will need to
 > load it with the following statement in your /etc/rc.conf:
 >
 > firewall_enable="YES""
 >
 > It's not clear that while IPFW will start fine without
 > firewall_enable="YES" in rc.conf if you have it compiled into your
 > kernel, the rules script provided with firewall_script won't run if
 > firewall_enable="YES" isn't set.

 Hmmm, well the text is unclear.  It doesn't matter if you compile `IPFW'
 support into your kernel or not these days.  The /etc/rc.d/ipfw script
 will take care of loading the module automatically.

 Even `DUMMYNET' can be loaded as a module in FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT now.

 Can someone from the freebsd-doc people who has access to a STABLE
 system check if auto-loading of ipfw.ko and dummynet.ko modules works as
 expected in FreeBSD 6.X too?  Then we should remove this confusing part
 about ``having IPFW compiled into your kernel''.

 - Giorgos