Date:      05 Aug 2002 23:34:15 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is simplicity despised? WAS: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

At 2002-08-06T03:31:53Z, Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au> writes:

> Shouldn't we all use the simplest and easiest method to accomplish a task,
> not deliberately choose the complex "over-kill" alternative?

No, we should not.  See also: FreeBSD's VM versus Linux's VM.  The former is
far more complex, but extremely well regarded.  The latter?  Well, it mostly
works.

The problem is that in some cases initial simplicity can lead to terrific
complexity at a later time.  It may be overkill to learn Emacs or Vi for the
purpose of writing emails.  Then again, once you've made the effort, you can
easily hack many-thousand-line source files - the kind that will kill an
"easy" editor.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/