Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:50:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail refusing to deliver to domains without MX records

Hi all,

Why does sendmail (possibly with FreeBSD default config only) seem to
refuse to deliver to a domain or hostname unless it has an MX record?

Just now, I tried to send an email to someone@redback.spyda.net and it's
queued with the message "host name lookup failure". The IP can be
resolved, however it has no MX records.

I've seen this happen before, is it a configuration issue or does sendmail
do this by itself? The guy I'm trying to email thinks only my system is
broken as everyone elses works "without a hassle"

Happened on 2.1.5-R and 2.2.7-R (a new install, not an upgrade)

But things get stranger...

I've just done some checking from a 2.2.2-R machine and it works fine
using:

echo hello | mail <addr>
sendmail <addr> then enter to/from/subj/body manually
pine, composing a normal message

Same thing from a 2.2.5-R machine.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm sure I've seen the 2.2.2-R
machine do this before, but perhaps I'm not remembering too well. Am I
going crazy?

BTW, the 2.2.7-R machine uses the 2.2.2-R and 2.2.5-R machine as DNS
forwarders. On a hunch I removed the forward clause from named.conf
(BIND8), restarted named and did sendmail -q, but still the same problem.

Thanks for any pointers to solving this odd problem.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                     Sensation Internet Services, Melbourne Aust
fidonet: 3:635/728                                          +61-3-9388-9260