Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:05:18 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        Matthew Fleming <mdf@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, bdrewery@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are computers always this hard?

On Nov 24, 2013, at 2:35 PM, Matthew Fleming <mdf@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I'm just trying to get FreeBSD in a VM running again on my Mac.  I had =
had
> VMware installed, but it stopped working when I updated my OS and I =
didn't
> want to re-pay, so I got VirtualBox today.

I=92ve had decent luck with both Parallels and VMWare Fusion on Mac.

> I tried to use NFS mounting but I got too annoyed trying to get my Mac =
set
> up as an NFS server.

It is mildly annoying, especially the part where the NFS lock server
on Mac OS keeps stopping.  So every time I use svn (or git, for that
matter), I have to wait 10 seconds or so for the lock server to come
back.  (It always does; it=92s just an annoying delay.)

In any case, I wrote up how I got this working; you might find some
useful hints in here:

=
https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd/wiki/Tracking-FreeBSD-CURRENT-=
with-VMWare-Fusion-and-Crochet