Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:06:54 -0700
From:      Evan Parry <nave@azstarnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Telnet Troubles

Here's a rather odd problem that I've encountered for the last couple months:

Telnetting (or using ssh) to my FreeBSD box from the outside does not work.
'telnet localhost' connects fine (as does using ssh to the localhost) but
telnet won't giving various error messages from 'operation timed out' to 'no
route to host'.

The strange part of this all however is that other services work fine.  Web,
FTP, SMTP all are able to connect fine from anywhere.  Also, I did not
encounter this problem with Linux when I've tried it but all versions of
FreeBSD I've used (from 2.2.5) have had this.

Any ideas? TIA

--
Evan Parry
nave@azstarnet.com