Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:53:05 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeType library requires X

On 4 Aug 2000, at 19:28, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to compile the FreeType library without installing fetching
> > all of X? Witness this:
> >
> > # grep X /etc/make.conf
> > NO_X=          true    # do not compile in XWindows support (e.g.
> > doscmd)
> >

> Doesn't NO_X only apply to system binaries?  I think what you are looking
> for is how billf did ports/graphics/gd (testing for WITH_X11).  If
> FreeType can be built without X support, just add the hooks like gd.

I have no idea whether or not FreeType can be built without X support.
That's really why I was looking to ports for assistance.

I think you're referring to this from gd (which I already have installed):

.if defined(WITH_X11)
USE_XLIB=       yes
USE_XPM=        yes
USE_FREETYPE=   yes
.endif

This from print/freetype:

USE_XLIB=       yes
USE_GMAKE=      yes

Shrug.  It's a bit beyond me.  billf is saying, at least I think he is
[sometimes he isn't very obvious], that FreeType needs to compile X
and that's all there is to it, so I should fuck off and not ask stupid
questions.

thanks
--
Dan Langille  [I'm looking for more work]
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/