Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 05:36:31 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "adriel" <adriel@adriel.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA gone?

----- Original Message -----
From: "adriel" <adriel@adriel.net>
To: <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 10:05 PM

> I suppose my frustration comes from changing something that worked
> perfectly for no good reason, what exactly was wrong with compiling
that
> flag in the kernel, and why was it deemed "obsolete".  I understand
how
> to do it now, but my point remains, why was I forced to change, what
> advantage did I receive from this? I am not running -CURRENT.
>
> the main problem in my situation is that I have a DMA hd sharing an
IDE
> cdrom, if you dont enable the ATAPI_DMA then it wont allow dma on
the
> hard drive either.  Maybe there is a good reason for this, but I
still
> do not understand why something that was not breaking the system
would
> be arbitrarily removed without any warning.  The only POSSIBLE
advantage
> I could have seen with moving this to be sysctl only is that you
could
> change it without rebooting, and even that is not the case.
> [...]

As far as I understand it, it was moved because it is a driver
setting, and a driver setting does not belong into the
kernel-configuration (we are not running Linux here, are we?). With
the old way, if the ENABLE setting would break your system, you would
have to recompile the kernel, now it's just a matter of changing a
configuration file. And, it _is_ possible to change the settings (of
each individual device on the ide-bus) afterwards, without rebooting,
by writing the sysctl-variable hw.atamodes (see 'man ata').

What I don't understand is that this change didn't make it's way into
/usr/src/UPDATING. Someone should bother and add it, for all the
updates that can be expected when 4.3 becomes a release.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock