Date:      Fri, 9 May 2008 08:10:40 +0200
From:      "Christian Zachariasen" <chrizach@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: coretemp 70C = CPU too hot?

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy.  I purchased a 1U 10 inch deep server machine a few months ago:
>
> http://www.abmx.com/1u-10inch-deep-supermicro-mini-server-p-366.html?osCsid=80f3951929d5a7ae27a51733627ee18a
>
> The CPU is a Xeon 3xxx dual core 2.4 GHz.  The machine has no case fans, by
> design.
>
> It's sitting in a well-ventilated rack in a data center.  Oddly, when there
> are no machines below and above it, the machine gets hotter.  Seems that
> machines above and below help to cool it down.  I have the "coretemp"
> kernel
> module loaded on the FreeBSD 7.0 OS, and I saw that the CPU core temp(s)
> hit
> 70 degrees Celsius during a compile of GCC.  Is this too hot?  Should I
> complain to the people who assembled the computer?  At the time this
> happened there were supposedly no surrounding machines.  This machine has
> given me no problems.  At idle when conditions are good (meaning A/C is
> working properly and there are machines above and below it) my CPU temps
> are
> below 40.

As with so many other things in the computer world, it depends. With no case
fans, it's weird that the computer gets colder if it has something above and
underneath it. But there are so many factors when it comes to case
temperatures and air flow that it's nearly impossible to tell why. If
there's a huge cooler on top of the Xeon (Processor wind tunnel), then it
could be that closing the ventilation holes in the top and bottom of the
case makes the air flow more directly from the front to the back of the
case.

It seems the Xeon shuts down the system automatically if it reaches 105 C. I
don't know if this is any pointer to what a reasonable 100% load-temperature
could be, but I know processors nowadays run much cooler than they used to.
(I'm used to AMD Athlons on or above 70 C idle)

I'd say you should be fine if you haven't seen any instability at 70 C with
100% load.

You could try this if you want to be sure:

---
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:27:07PM -0800, Don O'Neil wrote:
> What is the best way to 'burn in' or 'stress test' a new system w/
FreeBSD?
> I'd like to stress test the CPU, Memory, Disk, etc.. To make sure the
> hardware is 100% good before putting it in production.

Doing something like a buildworld -j64 loop (if you have enough
memory, otherwise reduce -j level to avoid swapping) is going to
exercise your system a fair bit.

Kris
---

Regards,