Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2000 11:49:10 +0800
From:      Jarvis Cochrane <jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com>
To:        Darryl Williams <Darryl@etseq.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Error messages related to Etseq Unix Mail Server

> We at Etseq in Melbourne are having problems with setting up our Unix box
> with FreeBSD as a mail server in order to send mail to and receive mail from
> outside clients. The following forwarded message attempts to give the
> details.

Greeting from Sunny Perth! :-)

> If anyone has any brainstorms on what may be our problem, in particular
> proper setting up of POP3 and SMTP mail accounts on our mail server, this
> would be greatly appreciated.

Check /etc/mail/relay-domains - this file lists the hosts/domains that
are allowed to use your server as a relay. Adding something like
"advantra.com.au" to relay-domains should solve the first problem.

Also check out the... um... Cw directive in /etc/sendmail.cf - this
tells your machine what other names it's known as, and effectively
allows it to receive mail for those names. Adding something like "Cw
etseq.com.au" to sendmail.cf should solve the second problem.

Spot the guy who's been bitten by just these problems in the last few weeks!

HTH

Jarvis

--
Jarvis Cochrane

IT Support Officer         | jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com
Office of Student Services | cochrane@central.murdoch.edu.au
Murdoch University         | ICQ: 52693836
Western Australia          | [intl 61 8] 9360 6128