Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:06:00 -0800
From:      "Jay Krell" <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ports -- recursive make vs. recursive make install vs. su

Here's something that bugs me about the ports, but I hope it's just due to
some lack of understanding on my part:

cd /usr/ports
su
chmod -R a+rw .
control-d back to non-root
cd net/foo
make
foo depends on bar, make automatically goes to ../net/bar, does make, tries
make install, it fails

What I'd _like_..and I guess this might just be really hard, I'd like for
dependencies to be meetable via /usr/ports/net/bar/work/... instead of
requiring bar to be make installed..or at least that's one "solution" I can
imagine. What I know works is that I can go to /usr/ports/net/foo, su, make,
and so both make and make install run as root.

Or am I missing something? Is there already an option to "run" ports out of
the built/work directory, instead of make installing them?

 - Jay