Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 22:50:01 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Ron Lenk <rlenk@widget.xmission.com>
Cc:        imb@scgt.oz.au (michael butler), stable@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spontaneous reboot with -stable

>I too have a 2842, and I have seen both total hang conditions ( ddb shows
>the processes sleeping on "newbuf" ), and panics about the various queues,
>both "inconsistent EMPTY queue", and "inconsistent LRU queue". A kernel
>from 2.1-RELEASE sources runs fine.

Did you upgrade your entire system (lkms too) to 2.1-STABLE, or did you
only compile a kernel?

>I have exchanged mail with Justin Gibbs, and David Greenman about this, and
>haven't seen/heard anything in about 2 weeks.

I have a day job.

>Obviously, I'm not the only person seeing this, and, in fact, one other
>person with an Adaptec 1742 under -stable was/is having the same problems
>as well. ( could this be something in the eisaconf code? )

I don't know how the eisaconf code could cause this kind of problem.
My guess is that its a side effect of the initialization order of
devices.  We now do:

EISA
PCI
ISA

and used to do:

ISA
EISA
PCI

You could try moving the call to eisa_configure() in i386/i386/autoconf.c
after the initialization of ISA devices and see if that heps.

>Ron
>
>BTW: I apologize for sending a cc to hackers, but I've been unable to get
>any kind of response from anyone about this after the initial mail with
>Justin and David. ( A little pat on the head, along with "we're working
>on it" might be nice :) )

I'm in the process of creating a 2.1-STABLE bootable partition to help
debug these issues, but I'm not positive that its just a -STABLE issue.
Did you also say you had a 3c509 in the system?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations