Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:49:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetWare client in -current

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> I tend to agree. If we bring in all of this stuff (even though I
> appreciate it's very useful) we should also bring in samba into the
> base tree by symmetry.

Thats the idea.  Once Boris gets a chance to finish cifsfs the plan is to
import it into the tree the same as the Netware client stuff.

You were maybe talking about Samba, which doesn't have any kernel
components or userland tools that are dependent on them.

An in-kernel SMB/CIFS server would be on the same order as the NFS server
support; something we would want to have in the tree so as to keep an eye
on it and lower maintainence cost for the developer.  (Not that this has
kept the NFS server code free of interesting incidents.)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |