Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:56:03 -0700
From:      Bohdan Tashchuk <tashchuk@easystreet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help, I can't upgrade BIND

Hi all,

I'm new to FreeBSD, though I've used/administered other Unixes previously.

I bought The Complete FreeBSD book and installed FreeBSD 3.2 which comes
with it. Things went well. This is for my router/firewall/DNS server for my
DSL connection.

I set up BIND on FreeBSD to act as a cacheing DNS server. However, I
noticed that sometimes my DNS queries from my internal computer were acting
flakey. I noticed that quite often BIND on FreeBSD would fail to respond to
domain queries from my internal computer. BIND would usually respond 5
seconds later when the sender timed out and retransmitted.

I determined that BIND 8.1.2 ships with FreeBSD 3.2, and from the ports
stuff on the web I determined that BIND 8.2.1 is the current version. I
decided to upgrade, since this behavior could well be a BIND bug.

I used the ports mechanism to get BIND 8.2.1 and then did

	make
	make install

I expected this to update various binaries, such as named. However, it
didn't.
I tracked this down to the fact that named was installed as part of FreeBSD
3.2 into

	/usr/sbin/named

However, the named in the port was installed into

	/usr/local/sbin/named

The default root search path finds the old named, rather than the new one.

I studied the Makefile and found a

	post-install

option. But I can't figure out quite what that does. I tried it anyway, but
it doesn't overwrite the old named.

My problem is that BIND is a large collection of executables and
documentation. I could go in and manually delete the old named, for
example, but how could I be sure I deleted all of the old stuff. For
example, if I didn't find all the old DOC I would be reading obsolete man
pages (assuming I have the same path problems for DOC as for the binaries).

I guess my question is simple:

	How do I update BIND to the latest version
	and get rid of all the old stuff installed by
	FreeBSD 3.2 release?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bohdan Tashchuk
tashchuk@easystreet.com