Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:53:37 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeType library requires X

On 4 Aug 2000, at 19:28, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> > > USE_XLIB=       yes
> >
> > Instead of or in addtion to:
> >
> > NO_X=          true
>
> Uhm. Just because /etc/make.conf has a hook for not using X doesn't mean that
> every port supports it.

I guess that's a way of saying no.  You'll correct me if I'm interpreted
your answer incorrectly.

> > > No. (at least as the port stands right now..)
> >
> > I'm hoping this will only fetch X and not try to compile it.  That would
> > take many hours/days on this box.
>
> It need the X libraries, it would have compiled it.
>
> If it needs the X libraries, it needs the X libraries. Just because you have
> something in /etc/make.conf doesn't negate the fact that it needs the X
> libraries.

Thanks Bill.  You have a lovely charming way of making the asker of a
question feel like a fucking idiot, just for asking.  It's an unusual talent,
but you put it to good use. Long may you reign.

FreeType's makefile contains "USE_XLIB=       yes".

It seems a bit unfortunate that I need to install X on a web server just to
use FreeType.

I know you're trying to help. And I appreciate it.  But sometimes you
assume the people you are helping actually know what you are talking
about.  But I haven't seen an answer to my question.  Remember, most
people aren't as familiar with the FreeBSD internals as you are.  I'm just
a dumb user (according to many).  And stop cursing and smiling to
yourself.

> [hawk-billf] /usr/ports/print/freetype > ldd =ftdump
> /usr/local/bin/ftdump:
>         libttf.so.4 => /usr/local/lib/libttf.so.4 (0x28066000)
>         libm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libm.so.2 (0x2808b000)
>         libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x280a6000)
>         libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x280af000)
>         libc.so.4 => /usr/lib/libc.so.4 (0x280c4000)
>
> It links with them and everything.

Sorry, but the above doesn't much to me.  You are assuming too much
of me.
--
Dan Langille  [I'm looking for more work]
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/