Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:24:14 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and BSDI binary compatibility

>> > Probably not. FreeBSD's binary format is pretty unique.  Depends on
what
>> > you're doing though.
>>
>> A server/client application using TCP/IP.  Otherwise, standard C system
>> calls.  Is there, by any chance, any option I can compile with, or
library
>> I can link with, so that this *will* be binary compatible to run on BSDI?

Some experience i've had:

I tried the bsdi version of qwsv (quakeworld server) on FreeBSD 2.2.2. It
did actually work fine, but seemed to use lots of cpu. ie. nearly 40% per
client (only running on a 486DX4 100). I moved over to the linux version and
that works perfectly, with only about 10% cpu load per client.

Can anyone explain the difference in CPU loads? (Same system and same
version of qwsv each time).

regards,

Jeff