Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:41:25 +0300
From:      dima <_pppp@mail.ru>
To:        Damian-Fekete Andrei <andreidf@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: recompile, harddrive(partition) error

> > Hello,
> > My first day with a BSD system so.. be gentle
> > please.
> > :)
> >

> Hello again...
> I see that no one has come with ideas... so what i am
> asking is this: where can i find the files
> (GENERIC,make.conf etc) that were used in compiling
> the default kernel that comes with the 5.3 Release? I
> guess I'll have to start with that and modify and
> compile and so on and so forth.. :( until I see what I
> have done wrong.
1. if you edited GENERIC, not the copy of it, you can download a copy from cvsweb.freebsd.org or cvs it.
2. default /etc/make.conf should be empty.
3. you can get the security/errata patched sources of 5.3-RELEASE (actually called 5.3-RELEASE-p5) by changing the tag in your cvsup file to RELENG_5_3

The thing you could do wrong is probably removing too many lines from your kernel config file; read the comments in it carefully.