Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:00:51 GMT
From:      Jason Bacon <bacon@smithers.neuro.mcw.edu>
To:        openoffice@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/75039: OpenOffice 1.1.2 javaldx crashes at startup

The following reply was made to PR ports/75039; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jason Bacon <bacon@smithers.neuro.mcw.edu>
To: Chris Bongaarts <cab@tc.umn.edu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:52:11 -0600 (CST)

 Interesting...

 I've actually never used an upgrade - as always, I reformatted everything
 except /usr, and there I dropped to single user mode and rm -rf'd
 everthing except home before installing.  I did this twice this time
 around, on the assumption that something may have gotten corrupted during
 the first install, so I was careful not to stray from standard procedures
 the second time around.

 My original ld-elf:

 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /home/bacon 372 # ls -lo /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  - 141604 Nov  4 19:24 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1*

 I ran chflags anyway, and it had no effect.

 Interesting part is, rebuilding it did the trick.

 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf 386 # make obj
 /usr/obj/usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf created for /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf
 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf 387 # make
 cc -O -pipe  -Wall -DFREEBSD_ELF -DIN_RTLD
 -I/usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/i386 -I/u

 [snip]

 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf 388 # make install
 chflags noschg /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
 install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555  -fschg -C -b ld-elf.so.1 /libexec
 install -o root -g wheel -m 444 rtld.1.gz  /usr/share/man/man1
 /usr/share/man/man1/ld-elf.so.1.1.gz -> /usr/share/man/man1/rtld.1.gz
 /usr/share/man/man1/ld.so.1.gz -> /usr/share/man/man1/rtld.1.gz
 /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 -> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1

 Now openoffice-1.1.3 works, but I'm a bit confused, since it appears make
 install set schg:

 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf 393 # ls -lo /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  schg 141604 Nov  4 19:24 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1*

 A little experiment:

 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf 397 # chflags noschg /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf 398 # ls -lo /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  - 141604 Nov  4 19:24 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1*

 OpenOffice still works!

 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf 399 # chflags schg /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
 <<<ROOT@sculpin>>> /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf 400 # ls -lo /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  schg 141604 Nov  4 19:24 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1*

 Still works!

 So rebuilding ld-elf.so.1 did the trick, but not because of the schg flag.

 Furthermore, the old ld-elf.so.1 and the alleged new one I just built are
 the same size so I ran a cmp (against one from another machine installed
 from the same iso image) - it verified that they're identical.  I doubt
 the binary was corrupted during install, since as I said, I did TWO
 pristine installations with the same results (the second was from a new CD
 as well).

 The only other thing the install did was create a link in /usr/libexec, so
 I removed it and tried running OpenOffice again, but it just said

 ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found

 Well, it bugs me that I don't know why it's working, but it is, so thanks!

  	Jason