Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:16:45 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@netzuno.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   libcurl in the base distribution of FreeBSD

Hi,

I was looking at a way to do some downloads over HTTPS from inside a C
program, and I realized that libfetch (which is a fine piece of code BTW)
can not do it easily. I looked for alternatives and found cURL
(http://curl.haxx.se/).

In the same spirit as fetch/libfetch, this comes with both a command line
executable and a C library. Some advantages of curl over fech are:
- it is available on many platforms
- it implements HTTPS and FTPS (and many other protocols)
- it implements uploads as well as downloads
- development seems to be more active

I was wondering if switching over to curl in the base system is something
that could be considered. If feedback is positive, I am willing to spend the
time required to integrate it. Eventually, libfetch could also be
re-implemented as a wrapper around libcurl to avoid lots of modifications of
existing tools.

Also please note that the licensing terms for curl are nice (dual license
MIT / MPL), so that should not be an issue.

Any thoughts ?

Patrick.