Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:28:36 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bob M." <bmiddaugNOSPAM@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG>
To:        Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
Cc:        Mario Pranjic <mario.pranjic@irb.hr>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel problem

I've been struggling with the same thing as Mario for like a week now.  I
was getting a very similar error message on an Epox bxbs board, dual pIII
450's same exact stepping, revision, etc. I configured the kernel with two
I686_CPU entries instead of one figuring that might be it.
I get errors on boot that look very similar (lines about APIC and int 2
and routing being interrupted from 8254.....)  I also get the "SMP: AP CPU
#1 Launched! message at the end.  I recompiled the kernel with and without
different cards and devices figuring I had an interrupt request conflict
somewhere and the symmetrical I/O piece SMP was failing.  There were two
times out of about 20 that I was able to boot, and at the beginning of
dmesg, it id'd my processor only once, as usual, but then it would list
cpu0 and cpu1 and I wouldn't get the "SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!  I'm new to
FreeBSD, but I figured if I get one boot mesg that looks like it detects
and launches both cpu's at the beginning and one that says #1 CPU launched
and never mentions cpu0 something ain't right.  Why would I get that?  I
couldn't find a utility to bring up both processors in my installation, I
didn't load any extra ports or packages, just user/bin and sbin.  At the
time I was looking for something under like ps or tlist or something like
that to run to see what was going on.  I've since blown away that
installation and a few subsequent to that in my ignorant efforts to get a
boot message that was apparently a goof.  So that's a week of my life I'll
never get back.  Time for a beer.  Thanks for the insight Greg.

bmiddaugNOSPAM@sdf.lonestar.org (please remove NOSPAM to reply)