Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 04:27:25 -0700
From:      Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus CUV4X-D vs Abit VP6 + FBSD 4.3

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 11:10:11AM -0400, Rami AlZaid wrote:
:
: This might be a little off topic but I don't know where else to ask, so
: here it goes...  Anyone here runs FreeBSD 4.3 on either Asus CUV4X-D or
: Abit VP6 motherboard? If so, are you running it on a dual processors or a
: single processor? and how stable is it?

Very late reply.  I'm running FreeBSD 4.2 on a single-proc CUV4X-D mobo.
Installation was a major pain.  Sometimes the installer didn't recognize
the IDE hard drive or failed to write the boot manager.  Other times, it
failed to boot from the IDE CD-ROM drive.  I went through several IDE
CD-ROM drives (and dropped the IDE hard drive, SCSI still rules) before
finding a working hardware set.

Current issues: on boot, 4.2 hangs at various parts of the hardware
probe (disabling USB in the BIOS hangs it forever).  It's using VIA
chipsets:

	pcib2: <VIA 82C598MVP (Apollo MVP3) PCI-PCI (AGP) bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
	isab0: <VIA 82C686 PCI-ISA bridge> at device 4.0 on pci0
	atapci0: <VIA 82C686 ATA66 controller> port 0xb800-0xb80f at device 4.1 on pci0
	pci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> at 4.2 irq 7
	pci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> at 4.3 irq 7

Another recent issue: more than 512 MB RAM eventually causes it to
somehow kill my ethernet card with /var/log/messages like:

	/kernel: fxp0: device timeout

I'm going to update the BIOS later on, hope it fixes things....

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net