Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:46:53 +0100
From:      "Patrik Forsberg" <patrik.forsberg@dataphone.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: freebsd router

> and another concept you fail to grasp is that
> with 1 processor the data for the entire
> transaction sits in the cpu cache, whereas with 2
> it has to be read again. Its not necessarily
> desireable to have 2 processors working on the
> same data. There are a lot of issues that aren't
> as black and white as "2 processors must be
> faster than 1".=20

Aculy this is probably, cant say for sure, quite true. The logic behind =
it all is that routing wont profit from dual processors.. becouse there =
are nothing that benefit from threading.
O.. yea I feel the flame coming!..

anyways.. if you only have a single route(default) and a network behind =
it all .. yes.. simple UP routing would be the best. But what I do not =
know and haven't ether read test or done any testing of myself is what =
happends if you throw in a few routing protocols.. like BGP, OSPF and =
perhaps a bit of RIP in the mess.. here I would guess that SMP systems =
would perform better becouse the calculation of routing table could be =
done threaded. Now.. I do not say this is so.. becouse, once more, I =
haven't done any lab around it. Basicly tho FreeBSD 4.x does not =
outperform a specialy built network router, simply becouse it ain't =
built for it. If you're going to throw around over 500M data with a =
million or more pps I would not recommend any generic server OS, but =
rather a "real" router OS like IOS, AlliedWare or the like with a real =
router platform.

Altho I do have a FreeBSD 5.x Quagga sitting in a network today that do =
shovel around about 1=BD - 2Gbit data at peak rate and ~400kpps, running =
OSPF and BGP for IPv4 routing .. that doesnt mean it does it good :P

As for UP vs. SMP perhaps there are good reasons why "real" router =
builders go for UP - other than that its cheap :P

Basicly it comes down to what you're going to use your router for. For =
simple tasks a Quagga would work fine in both FreeBSD 4.x, 5.x and 6.x =
and most likely you would benefit from using a single processor. But for =
a large scale network with IPv4 and IPv6 in a dynamicly build enviroment =
maybe this aint surch a good idea. Perhaps its better to spend a few =
extra bucks on a real router with hw support and so on.

And a answer to the OP:
-----------------------
"
I have run freebsd 4.11 as router for 3 years. I like
freebsd because it is more stable and its security.
Recently, the bandwidth grows to stop about 383M in
mrtg graph and have packet loss when it reaches to
370M
"

Have you verified that you aint stuck with a 32bit nic ?=20
those have a peak rate at around 300-500Mbit/s, for better performance =
go for 64bit nic and maybe even PCI-X.

"
I am trying to use freebsd 6.0. Could you help how to
tune the freebsd to have high network throughput? I
test the throughput by ipref software. the max is
about 390M
"

Can't really help here. I usaly go for the stock setup exept recompiling =
the kernel and world for the specific machine.

"
I configure polling, loader.conf and use the  Intel(R)
Pentium 3.0 Hz, intel Giga em0, sata drive with 2G
memory
"

You dont need polling on intel nics.. it only slow things down. You =
should never need polling if your running a router aculy.

Well, that my to cent of the pussle :P

ps.=20
o boy, this became longer the expected!=20
perhaps Im all wrong and you're all masters, but then again perhaps Im =
the smart one and everyone else is just plain dumb!
ds.