Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2013 21:19:32 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current CURRENT <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   HEADS UP: No gcc by default in -HEAD on platforms where clang is cc

Hi Everyone,

As of r255321, we are no longer building gcc or libstdc++ as part of the =
default install on platforms where clang is cc.

If you are using gcc, you have two options:

1) Install one of the lang/gcc* ports (Warner has been working on =
separating out the patches to our GCC, so these should soon be patched =
to provide the same features as the one in base)

2) Put WITH_GCC=3Dyes and WITH_GNUCXX=3Dyes in your src.conf when you =
build world.

GCC will stay in the base system tree for at least the lifetime of the =
10.x release, and possibly longer if it is still being actively used.  =
It will remain used by tinderboxes and make universe for some =
architectures, so if you commit code without testing with gcc people =
will know very soon...

Thanks to Warner for all of his recent work on disentangling the =
toolchain, to all of the people (Roman, Dimitry, Brooks, and others) who =
worked on getting clang integrated into FreeBSD and to everyone who =
tested it and filed bug reports.  As of today, PowerPC64 joins x86 and =
ARM as platforms where world+kernel can be successfully built (and work) =
with clang (although it isn't the default yet and needs more testing), =
and hopefully other architectures will follow soon.

Huge thanks to all of the ports people who have spent the last two weeks =
working on dealing with the fallout from iconv and ensuring that all of =
the ports work with clang and libc++.  I think over the last week, the =
number of failing / ignored ports has dropped by about a thousand a day =
on the no-gcc test box that Bapt has been running, which is a phenomenal =
achievement. =20

David=