Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:12:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Canadian FreeBSD WWW mirror possibility

Hi everyone... Maybe a better question for -doc?

I have some interest in starting another ``primary'' FreeBSD WWW mirror in
Canada.  Canada currently has three mirrors, but www2.ca.freebsd.org is 26
hops, and at least four major networks away, www.ca.freebsd.org is well
connected, but is still located far West in Canada, and
www3.ca.freebsd.org doesn't even resolve anymore.

I've always connected to freefall because it's UP, it's consistent, and is
fast enough in North America.

However, I've given thought lately to offering our local mirror (already
running, but not advertised) for Canadian access.  We are located in
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (about as central as one can reasonably get) and
are reasonably well connected here.

Before I say "yes, ok, set up an IN A to my machine", I'd be curious to
note what sort of traffic regional mirrors are pushing through.  Note that
I'm aware of freefall's stats (2.6GB/daily), but I would assume that
regional mirrors would be doing far less.  (Some time ago, I think I
stumbled across a link to a stats page for one of the ca.freebsd.org
mirrors, but I wasn't able to find it again).

I'll accept public or private replies, here, if sysadmins don't want their
mirror stats publicly posted.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2