Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:41:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org, terry@lambert.org, witr@rwwa.COM, davidg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem Report docs/731

> > 2a) Investigate possible breakage of socketpair() in foreign libraries
> >     (BSDI, Linux, etc).  Any library that uses the previously suggested
> >     fix of handling socketpair() like pipe() will break.
>
> I think the latter is the way to go.  Can anybody ask the fathers of
> BSD why they didn't do it this way?

They did, in their documentation (man socketpair).  The documented
behaviour is the same as that for Solaris, SunOS, Linux, and other
OS's.

If ther system does not match the documentation, the system is wrong.

The documentation can be wrong independently, but the correctness
of the system is measured by its conformance to documented behaviour.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.