Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:58:31 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>, sos@freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with ata probing twice.

In message <3B49FE28.AEE25978@mindspring.com> Terry Lambert writes:
: Warner Losh wrote:
: > That is, I advocate all busses that support sharing to or in
: > RF_SHAREABLE when appropriate.  The trouble is that with the current
: > interfaces, that precludes one from using fast interrupts.  FAST or
: > not fast is a property of bus_setup_intr, not bus_alloc_resource.  sio
: > is the only driver in the tree using fast interrupts (although there
: > are several not in the tree by third parties that use this) right now,
: > and it treats the INTR_FAST bit as a strong hint only.
:
: The problem with this is drivers that can't share
: interrupts because there is no way to ask the hardware
: which of several devices caused the interrupt.  This
: means that it's an attribute of the driver, not the
: bus, so having the bus do this automatically would not
: be correct.

Give me an example of hardware that does this.  I know of no devices
in the tree that do this....

: > [*] Even on ISA systems, one can share interrupts to a limited
: > extent.  The two pccards could share interrupts (with the right magic
: > programmed on some ISA chipsets).  The pccards could share with the
: > CSC interrupt (aka management interupt), but again this requires
: > special magic on some bridges, none on others and isn't supported at
: > all on still others).  Some pccard bridge chipsets let you HI-Z IRQ 15
: > or 14 and thus share them with the IDE controller.  I've disallowed
: > all these sharing potentials because you'll notice a fair number of
: > weasel words in the previous sentences (some, might, magic).
:
: I've frequently thought that the COM1/COM3 and COM2/COM4
: interrupt duality should be permitted, with FreeBSD doing
: the interlock based on only permitting one of the pair to
: be open at a time: that is, the interrupt gets set up for
: one or the other of them based on what's open and what's
: not.  Historically, internal modems have liked to be on
: COM3 or COM4, yet you are stuck with the internal serial
: ports glomming onto the interrupts.

That's a different problem.

Warner