Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:09:09 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposal 4: new category "www"

As per Paul (that's pst)'s request, I think we should make a new
category "www".  I'll drop my idea of "net-www" or whatever, it
occurred to me that "news" and "mails" are subsets of "net" too, and
we aren't calling them "net-news" or "net-mails". :)

I prefer "www" over "web", it's clearer what it means and I know
nobody likes to pronunce it, but hey it's spelled "www" but pronounced
"web". :)  Also, given the fact that there are half a zillion
"www.foo.com" but only a few "web.bar.com"s, I don't think it's any
doubt which is the more accepted acronym (ok, "web" isn't an acronym
in the first place, but you get the idea).

I think the following can form the initial membership of this new (but
already big) category:

 Mosaic, apache, cern_httpd, cern_linemode, chimera, gn, lynx,
 netscape, netscape2, tkWWW, wn, wwwish, zircon (from "net")

 ashe, tkHTML (from "editors")

 weblint (from "devel")

I'm not sure about "gn", as it's both a www and gopher server, but I
think it's fine to put it in "www", people looking for it should have
no trouble finding it here, no?

Satoshi

P.S. Looking through /usr/ports/net, I notice there are quite a few
     ports pertaining to (1) network video, (2) gopher, and (3) file
     transfer but I don't think any of them warrant a new category yet.