Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:50:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
Cc:        Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>, "'Cliff Sarginson'" <cliff@raggedclown.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Root and the C Shell

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Donald J . Maddox wrote:

> While this is obviously a good policy if you are administering many
> different platforms, it really doesn't matter that much on FreeBSD,
> does it?  On FreeBSD, at entry to single-user mode, you are prompted
> for the shell path, and it always defaults to /bin/sh, right?  Where
> is the great danger here?

	In not realizing that there are times and places where single user
mode is not available. I will restate my point one final time, because
frankly I have no idea what posessed me to enter into this discussion
again, since I know better.

	While YOU may never face a situation where you can't easily
recover from a borked shell, the BEST practice is to leave your
shells, for all of your accounts set to either /bin/sh or /bin/csh (i.e.,
one of the shells that is built with the system) and use either .profile
or .login to exec your preferred shell if it is available. Less paranoid
solutions may very well work for you, however the above solution is the
safest, both on FreeBSD and on other platforms.

Doug
--
    So what I want to know is, where does the RED brick road go?