Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:11:59 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Frank A <jr.fpa@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLT tape drive support

On Wed, 23-Feb-2000 at 02:06:35 -0500, Frank A wrote:
> Hello ALL:
>
> 	I Was wondering if FreeBSD 3.3 supported the Quantum DLT tape drives, Both
> the 4000 and 7000 series.  I looked at the hardware compatibility list and
> it does not show there.  Seems like it has not been updated for a while.
>
> Does 3.3 support DLT tapr drives? if so which ones?  Any help on this would
> be greatly appreciated.  I have a lot of data to back up, and the DLT tapes
> allow me to backup with one tape instead of haveing a multiple tape backup
> with other backup drivs and media.

I am using two DLT4700 and one DLT2700 and I am very happy with it.
They are running every night on one of their seven tapes.  From time
to time I read old tapes (3 years old) and never had a problem.

I use them on -STABLE since 2.x upto now. The changers are
supported by chio out of the box.

If you want to upgrade the firmware this also can be done
directly without the need to boot any DOS/NT crap.

	-Andre