Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 1996 09:26:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: A few NITS about SCSI Tapes

J Wunsch writes:

> As chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu wrote:
>>
>> Back to one of the orginal questions...How about adding support
>> for using 8mm video tapes? SunOS, BSD/OS, & Linux all support this.
>> They're cheap and I've had wonderful success using them. I just wouldn't
>> do a level 0 dump on one ;-)
>
> Despite of massive reliability problems related to those drives (the
> MTBF seems to be less than 100 hours), an EXB-8201 does work for me.
> Under plain FreeBSD 2.0.5.

Hmm.  How do you define MTBF?  I haven't had any trouble at all on my
8500 (I have, however, on SunOS and BSD/OS, but that looks like it's a
driver problem, not a device problem).  I've repeatedly heard that
using real video tapes is a Bad Idea.  Now that data quality tapes are
available at substantially the same price, there is also no reason to
do so.

Greg