Date:      Mon, 01 Dec 1997 14:07:06 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decent case for an Asus Dual PPro ?

> > What footprint is this board?  You might want to consider buying a
> > "real" chassis for it; either a rack case (moderately expensive, but
> > very robust) or a decent server tower.  Have a look at supermicro's
> > site for some ideas on what real boxes look like.  You should be able
> > to find someone in your area (Ottowa?) that carries their stuff.
>
> It's a 3/4 AT footprint - but that's not the problem. The daughter
> card that the CPUs are on plugs into what would normally be the
> "top" PCI slot, and extends all the way across the board.

This isn't a problem at all, once you move outside the domain of
"cheap" cases.  What's a 3/4 AT footprint?  I assume this is larger
than the "baby AT" size, so you're looking at a "real" server case.

> ...I'm actually just outside Toronto, which means
> there's almost certainly someone in Toronto that actually carries
> real cases - the problem is finding them! I called about 20 PC shops
> in the phone book, none of which had a decent case. Arghh. I gave
> up and figured if someone was having success with a company that will
> ship me one I'd do that. I may look for some toronto newsgroups and
> post there looking for recomendations. Unfortunately for me, time
> is a factor...

You are attacking this from the wrong end.  Find a brand/model that
suits you, then pursue their local wholesaler/retailer chain.  If the
Supermicro boxes suit, they should certainly have a distributor in your
corner of the world.

> P.S. I just spent the last hour ripping apart a 10 year old SGI
> "floor wheeling" box - wow. Talk about a different era in computing
> when the construction of cases was actually an engineers job! I'm
> planning on stripping it out and figuring out a way to mount 1 or
> 2 PC motherboards, a couple power supplies, and some HDs in there
> and turning the old gem into a PC power server in disguise :-)

If Apollo had used a slightly different pattern of mounting holes in
their chassis, I would be using nothing but Apollo cases for my
systems; same deal.  8)

mike