Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 00:38:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net
Cc:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:

# Everyone needs driver updates.  The 3c905b hadn't even been released when
# I installed the machine I needed the patch for.  I upgraded the hardware
# and I needed the patch -- hardly a Linux problem.  And the infamous TCP/IP
# problems, which almost everyone has fallen victim to in the past two
# years.  My point was, running Linux doesn't mean patching your machine
# every couple days to fix problems.  I don't know where people get this
# idea of Linux instability, but it's just not true.

I certainly never said that, though I do believe that FreeBSD is
more stable than Linux for a variety of other reasons. :)  Of course,
you know that arguing the stability of Linux vs. FreeBSD on a FreeBSD
won't necessarily always get unbiased remarks in response.

# I want to run a webserver that's going to probably be serving about 400
# requests simultaneously on average, but it may spike up to 900 at times.
# Bandwidth-wise, it'll be moving about 600+k/sec on a PII-450 w/384 megs
# RAM. There'll be a lot of CGI involved, as well as a MySQL database that's
# being used for authentication as well as keeping track of a bunch of user
# accounting data. I tried FreeBSD initially, but it didn't last 10 minutes
# before coming down.
#
# I searched on the web and checked links from the FreeBSD homepage, as well
# as a couple other FreeBSD related pages that I found, but found no
# information on tuning FreeBSD machines.  The HOWTOs for FreeBSD are
# minimal.  There aren't many users out there with easily accessible
# information on what they've done to make it work.
#
# What do I need to do to make it work? Increase the number of tasks?  Can I
# just use ulimit, or do I need to change stuff in the kernel?  I noticed
# some stuff in there limiting the per-user tasks to 64, but that didn't
# look reasonable, and it looked like it got ignored anyway, so I don't know
# what bearing that had on the system.  How can I increase the maximum
# number of file descriptors/inodes?  Are there any changes I should make to
# the memory management stuff, and if so where and how?  What else needs to
# be done to a FreeBSD machine to allow it to handle heavy load?

I can look around and see if I can drum up these answers.  But if you
don't mind I'd like to forward these questions to the -isp list too
to see if someone with more knowledge than myself can help out.  Is that
ok?

-steve