Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:06:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   custom kernel hanging

Hello!

This new machine has the today's usual PIIX dual channel IDE
controller, with a primary master hard-drive and a secondary master
CD. It also has the Adaptec-2940 with a single disk. The generic
kernel boots fine, but the custom one I'm making hangs after
reporting the da0 device and claiming (if I boot with -v) wd0s1a
to be a root device (which is true).

It just sits there. I can press "Scroll Lock" and PageUp -- that
works. But it is not booting any further. I tried switching the
AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO back and forth...

Can the softupdates present in the new kernel be the problem? The
OS is 3.1-RELEASE. All of the partitions have softupdates enabled
except for the root one  (wd0s1a). The /usr resides on the SCSI
disk...

Thanks for any clues.

	-mi