Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 20:31:33 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
To:        Richard J Kuhns <rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Archive Anaconda on 1540B -- waiting forever for tape to become ready

At 9:25 AM 4/22/96, Richard J Kuhns wrote:
>David Kelly writes:
> > What bugs me a little is the tape drive doesn't continuously spool during
> > dump (or tar). Several times it stopped for a second or two. Eventually
>
>It doesn't spool well for me either, but it's still fast enough that I
>don't really care; it's worth the price.

I've run my 1.35G tape end to end about 10 times now and have a better idea
whats going on. It takes just under 90 seconds for the tape to run from one
end to the other. There is always an extra reversal on reversal where I'm
guessing the mechanism is making sure it landed on the right track after
turning around. Often it spools until the next reversal/track change.
Sometimes it has to stop and resume in the middle several times (in
different places).

This reminds me of my Tandberg TDC-3660 (which the Anacoda replaced).
Usually it spools right along but one day it hit something that gave it
fits. It was writing a copy of the 2.1R ports directory(s) to disk.
Apparently in 2.0.5R (or maybe I was running 2.1R at the time) creating a
directory was an expensive task. Might have been writing to an IDE drive.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/tape bs=1M count=1024
produces interesting results. The tape spools the whole way. Reported data
rate is about 30 MB/min, but "systat -v" shows the system running about 50%
in sys. That was unexpected. Is somebody busy-waiting? Is my tape drive
failing to disconnect from the SCSI bus? (I jumped the SCSI-2 jumper on the
Anaconda.) Think I need to check my 2940's BIOS setup because there is some
kind of option like that in there.

Yup, but dontcha know how Murphy's Law works? My Anaconda arrived Friday.
Then Saturday at the Birmingham (AL) Hamfest I picked up a 525MB Archive in
Unisys external case for $10. Works great. Think it might stay on my
Macintosh. Heck, I was just looking for a case to make my second Anaconda
portable but found an entire working drive.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison