Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:29:28 -0600
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        "Igor V. Ruzanov" <igorr@canmos.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.0 retires into itself

At 06:48 AM 12/3/2009, Igor V. Ruzanov wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Derek Ragona wrote:
>
>|At 04:28 AM 12/3/2009, Igor V. Ruzanov wrote:
>|> Hello!
>|>
>|> I have updated FreeBSD 8.0 sources via cvsup and compiled system. uname -a
>|> shows:
>|>
>|> FreeBSD localhost 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #2: Mon Nov 30
>20:15:12 MSD
>|> 2009  root@localhost:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/HOME-PAE  i386
>|>
>|> Machine has 3 physical interfaces:
>|> - em0 (PCI/Intel PWLA 8390 MT)
>|> - em1 (PCI/Intel PWLA 8390 MT)
>|> - fxp0 (PCI/Intel EtherExpress PRO/100)
>|>
>|> and 2 VLANs: vlan317 and vlan320.
>|>
>|> Also there is one interface built in motherboard:
>|> - ale0 (PCI-E/Atheros AR8121)
>|>
>|> One physical interface (em0) is in trunk mode (802.1Q) to configure
>these two
>|> VLANs (vlan317 and vlan320) interfaces. Machine acts as BGP router. It
>has 3
>|> uplinks:
>|> - vlan317
>|> - vlan320
>|> - fxp0
>|>
>|> and one backbone interface:
>|> - em1.
>|>
>|> Next, i recompiled all userland and made all necessary configurations after
>|> which the machine became as production BGP router installed in server room.
>|> So issue looks like the following:
>|>
>|> After 20-30 minutes of stable work, the system starts to "retire into
>|> itself": any user processes (bgpd, zebra, named) don't respond, For
>example a
>|> can't telnet to bgpd control terminal, telnet just dies showing:
>|> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>|> Connected to localhost.
>|> Escape character is '^]'
>|>
>|> I even tried to login into system from local console. But when i pressed
>|> Enter after username was typed, the console just hang. Power button also
>|> doesn't respond (in usual case pressing on Power button gives the
>machine is
>|> going to power off). One interesting thing: after system was booted, top
>|> command shows:
>|>
>|> system eats about 28-30% of CPU time
>|> interrupts eat about only 6-7% of CPU time
>|> all user processes eat less than 0-1% of CPU time
>|>
>|> On another working machine (same BGP router, but system is FreeBSD
>7.0-STABLE
>|> p4) the picture seems to be different:
>|>
>|> system etas 9-10% of CPU time
>|> interrupts eat 15-16% of CPU time
>|>
>|> So my question is the REASONS that cause such system behavior. I read
>|> UPDATING, so kernel in FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE was largely reworked, in
>|> particular - SMPng in order to remove all non-MPSAFE driver's locks
>(netperf
>|> project). Are there new specific kernel config options to get better
>|> perfomance of network subsystem? Or should i set some sysctl variables?
>|>
>|> My hardware:
>|> - Motherboard: ASUS P5P43TD (with built in Gigabit LAN Atheros AR8121)
>|> - Core 2 Quad CPU
>|> - 4G RAM (2x2048)

> [...]

Since it seems tied to load, which NIC is causing the trouble?  I'd suspect
the motherboard NIC.  I have used many Intel NICs without problems.  In
multi-NIC servers I setup, I usually add a quad-port Intel card and don't
use the motherboard NICs.

You may want to try using a different NIC in place of the onboard and see
if the problem persists.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.