Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:38:00 -0700
From:      "Stacey Jenkins" <spacey@vegasnet.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   probably foolish question

To whom it may concern,
	I work at a mid-size ISP in the Las Vegas area.  As we've been upgrading,
we're replacing our webserver with a couple of UltraSPARCs, but are leaving
mail on one of our existing Linux boxes, and using the second as a backup.
Here's where things get interesting.  The backup server is being used as an
administration server for our Sun boxes (thru xhost).  While copying some
files, we lost power and the admin/backup server's file structure got pretty
messed up.  When I tried to reinstall the original OS (a combination of
Caldera-xwindows and RedHat-everything else,   with Kernel being Linux
1.2.13) and run the backup tape, it couldn't set up a ram drive from the
startup disks and the whole thing was screwed.
	We put FreeBSD on it, just so we could set up the admin server, and let it
go at that.  Unfortunately, this means that for now, we have no backup mail
server, a very bad thing.  My question for you is this, could we run the
information on the 4gig backup tape under FreeBSD?  Is the file structure
similar enough?  Could the BSD kernel support the Linux sendmail?
	I understand that this may seem naive, and the answer is probably a simple
NO, but I've got to ask.  The alternative is to try and track down someone
who has a copy of the same Linux Kernel (a tough task as the supplier of our
server is now out of business).
	I greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer in this matter.

Regards,
	Stacey J

Stacey Jenkins
spacey@vegasnet.net