Date:      Sun, 06 Sep 1998 14:59:44 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.0 enters BETA status in 12 days!

> > > Apparently, elf seems very important for you, why ?
> >
> > It's been "important" for a pile of reasons, all of which have been
> > discussed to death.  Now is not a good time to be asking "why".
> >
> I have a large project in a.out format I have no time to rebuild this code
> If I had to do that I could also move to linux (Yard is working fine
> even if it's slower)

If you'd been paying attention, you'd have known from the time that ELF
was first discussed that we would *never* make a switch that alienated
either execution or development of a.out applications.

Unless your project is heavily a.out specific, the migration is
unlikely to affect you.  If it is, then set OBJECTFORMAT to aout before
building it and you'll never know the difference.