Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:21:20 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, dever@getaclue.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Dave Hayes wrote:
> I agree with this somewhat, however I am loathe to make cost dependent
> in any way on content. In order to preserve the status quo of
> communication, I'd like to be absolutely content neutral. If the cost
> were based on the amount of mail sent, I'd say that would be
> sufficient.

The USPS has already tried, once in the past, to charge postage for
email sent, when email looked to be destroying their business model
(charge a lot of postage for personal communications to subsidize
delivery of papers, magazines, and advertising, and carry a lot of
the latter, in order to ensure that personnel utilization remains
high enough to justify headcount).

So... if it were at all feasible to use your approach, then why
did the cost of first class stamps go up, but the cost of a bulk
mail permit not go up, about a month ago?

IMO, the reason is that there is political favoritism involved,
and unless you can get that out of the process, your suggested
approach is infeasible.

What we need is something that works *in spite of* people's
predelictions, not something that denies the existance of them.

> > (BTW, do you think you could fix your reference headers before you
> > get into another mega-discussion with Terry, so it's easier for me
> > to find the entertaining parts?  ;-)
>
> Heh. I'm using the mailing list, which is perhaps why references
> headers (an artifact of NNTP) don't process here.

I'm using the mailing list, as well.  The "In-Reply-To:" header is
based on the "Message-Id:" of the message being replied to.  I
suggest you look at RFC 2822.

-- Terry